Before you answer that question, let’s get technical (i.e., a little boring) and define exactly what outsourcing is.
Outsourcing is the practice of obtaining goods, services, or job components from an outside provider instead of using an internal source.
Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s break down the reasons why a company may opt to use an outsourcing service to complete a project instead of using internal employees.
Reasons to outsource
Highly specialized skills–Outsourcing can be beneficial when a project requires a specialized education level or skill set, such as web development or design, that your internal team does not possess.
A temporary need–When you need to complete a minor or short-term project, outsourcing may keep you from having to hire a new in-house employee or add a new department.
Limited resources–Outsourcing can be a practical solution when your company does not have the financial resources to hire new employees or purchase the equipment that would be necessary to complete a project.
While outsourcing certain projects can be an effective course of action for many reasons, you should determine whether or not it is the right choice for you and your company. Here are a few points to consider.
Evaluate internal talent–Do the company’s current employees have the expertise required to complete the task or project?
Determine the time frame–Does the company have the bandwidth necessary to meet the project’s deadline?
Analyze workload–Will the company suffer if internal employees are removed from everyday tasks and operational duties in order to complete a separate project?
Outsourcing agencies can provide a wide variety of services. Our digital design agency, for example, offers the following outsourced creative services to help optimize its clients’ messaging.
Branding and content strategy
When outsourcing branding and creative design, it is important to work with a team that can identify your company’s message and develop a communications strategy to support your initiatives. Propoint provides a talented, creative, and experienced team of branding professionals that supplies premium visual campaigns, social media assets, content marketing strategies, and more.
Professional presentation design
A professional presentation needs to convey your company’s information in a clear, concise, and engaging manner. When outsourcing your presentation design, you should select a team that can create custom presentations from scratch or make changes to existing content in a way that will elevate the exchange between you and your audience. These presentations include, but are not limited to, PowerPoint, marketing and sales presentations, slide production, and presentation style guides.
Videos and motion design
Adding videos to your website can result in higher engagement and click-through rates than alternative forms of advertising. Online videos come in a variety of formats, including explainer videos, corporate videos, promotional videos, animated videos, marketing videos, demo videos, homepage videos, and landing page videos.
Infographics and data visualizations
A data visualization expert is able to deliver a visual representation of your information or data in a manner that is easy for your audience to understand through the use of diagrams, flowcharts, and technical illustrations.
User interface and user experience design
A sophisticated web interface engages site visitors and promotes user interaction. Rich media such as microsites, electronic press kits, and interactive training modules can help communicate a company’s message and create a unique online experience.
Since cell phones and tablets play such a crucial role in our lives, every type of communication that your company produces should be responsive to mobile devices. In order to establish professionalism and maintain credibility, your company’s message must translate seamlessly from a laptop or desktop to a mobile app experience in a style that is visually appealing.
Picking the right agency for outsourcing
Once you determine that utilizing an outsourcing agency is the best choice for you and your company, the next step is to select the right agency. The following tips will assist you in making that decision.
1. Be sure that you have the approval and support of company executives prior to hiring an outsourcing company.
2. All outsourced materials should fit into the overall content strategy of your company.
3. While outsourcing work usually offers a more affordable solution than hiring internal employees or purchasing the equipment required to complete a project, you should ascertain whether the agency’s fees fit within your company’s budget.
4. Select an outsourcing agency that provides all of the services you need, including mobile design expertise.
5. Request to view samples of the agency’s prior projects to ensure that it can create a quality product. You should be specific when making your request. For example, if you are interested in creating a web video to announce a new product, ask to see an example of a previously created promotional video.
6. Inquire as to whether you will work directly with designers or if you will need to relay messages back and forth through a middleman.
7. Work can be outsourced locally or on the other side of the globe. Be certain that you choose an outsourcing agency that can provide services during business hours in your time zone.
8. Determine if the outsourcing agency is compatible with your company’s culture. Although it can be refreshing and beneficial to receive an outsider’s input and perspective on your company, the agency needs to be able to effectively communicate your company’s message to your clients.
Overall, before you make the decision to extend your core team by utilizing an outsourcing service, do your due diligence. Determine what is needed to complete the project most efficiently, what resources are at your disposal, and what limitations are binding you. Additionally, be sure to research outsourcing companies, view samples of their previous work, read online reviews, and look for any awards that the company may have received before making a final determination.
If you're looking to outsource any of the design services detailed above, Propoint has got you covered.